Sudan is Africa’s largest country and has endured a long time of harsh civil warfare and political conflict. Declared an Islamic Republic in 1983, the country is predominantly Muslim, but through the threat of the shari’a law on all non-Muslims, God has sovereignly dispersed Christians to many unreached people groups. While the nation is often hostile to Christianity, there has been a significant increase in Christians since the late 1990s. Nevertheless, the Islamic revolution has led to persecution, enslavement, and brutal treatment for Christians and non-Christians alike.
Purity of the Gospel-Like many nations, the Gospel has been perverted through cults and false teachers. Pray that the Lord would purify His church and rid the nation of heresy.
Persecution of Christians- Pray that the Lord would use the testimony of persecuted believers to reach the lost. Pray for their comfort and sanctification through persecution and that many would come to know Him as a result of their sufferings.
Government– pray against movements to make Islam the national religion and brutal efforts to control the nation. Pray that the Lord would break them of their control and pride and bring many government officials to the saving knowledge of Christ.
Workers- Pray for workers to go out into the harvest and plant Biblical churches whose people desire the glory of God for this nation.
Specific people groups/cities to pray for:
- The Nuba Mountain People: Group of non-Muslims, many of which have supposedly heard the gospel. The government has sought to destroy this people group by destroying their villages and enslaving and murdering the people.
- Khartoum- large city in Sudan with nearly 13 million people. There has been a number of churches planted in this city that have experienced persecution. Pray that the churches that have survived would reach those around them with the gospel of Christ for the glory of God.
- Darfur Province- One of the least evangelized places on the earth. There are no known believers among the people groups in this area.
- The Beja- group on the Red Sea Coast that has seen little evangelistic efforts.
- The Nubians- people on the Nile valley and have encountered harsh pressure to become an Islamic people.
- The nomadic and semi-nomadic Baggara tribe- There has been very few evangelistic efforts to reach these people. Pray that the Lord would send believers to these people.
“Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” Philippians 2: 9-11