I was going to start a 40 days of prayer on my blog to help me actually blog. I figured praying for the nations is something I actually care about and would therefore be more likely to write about it. But our church decided a few weeks ago to start praying for different nations each week, so I figured I would mirror that schedule and call other believers to pray with us. If we reach a nation where I know a specific missionary is located, I will include updates from them, as well as specific prayer requests. But if not, I will include prayer requests and facts from the book Operation World (a great purchase if you don’t already have it) and other sources as well.
This week is the nation of North Korea.
A cool fact that I didn’t know about North Korea was that Pyongyang, NK was actually considered the “Jerusalem of the East.” Up until the Korean War there was a profusion of Christians in this area planting churches and serving Christ. When the Korean War began, many of these Christians fled, were persecuted, or put into the infamous internment camps. All churches were bulldozed and Christianity, along with most other religions, were repressed by the communist regime. God faithfully preserved believers in the underground church through which the glory of Christ is still proclaimed.
It is estimated that around 3 million people have died in NK while the government rations for the military and refuses assistance to its people. Countless others are interned in prison camps.
Prayer for North Korea
- Kim Jong II-pray that the leader of NK will be brought to repentance, as well as his son who is to take over his position as leader. Pray this also for military leaders and others in positions of influence.
- Underground Church- there are thought to be only a few thousand believers in NK. Pray that the Lord would enlarge the church in NK and give boldness and creativity for preaching the gospel. Pray that those who experience persecution will stand strong and that their testimony would glorify Christ as Lord to their death.
- Christians in Internment Camps- pray that the group of believers in these places would preach the gospel fearlessly and that the Lord would bring many to repentance within these camps.
- Word- there is an extreme difficulty in getting the Word of God to believers in this area. Pray that efforts to smuggle the Word would be effective and that believers would find time and ease to hide the Word in their hearts. Pray for teachers that know the Word to preach it in truth and with clarity, though it may not be available in tangible form.
- People-and of course, pray for the people of North Korea, that they would be open to the gospel message and that their eyes would be open to the truth of Christ.
- There is also a community of Christians along the border of NK and China who provide protection to refugees fleeing the country. They share the gospel with escapees and many return to be witnesses in NK. Pray that they would reap a great harvest and that many would return unharmed to share the Gospel in NK. Pray also for those Chinese Christians who house these refugees, as they face severe punishment if caught.
I hope that many of you will join us in prayer for the nation of Korea. Bless the Lord that we are in a nation where we can proclaim the truth of the Word of God without fear of our lives. I pray that we will be faithful to do so with all boldness and clarity.
“Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison— that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak. Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time.” Colossians 4:2-5